Wednesday, July 03, 2013

GLASTO Part 2...

So Saturday. Looking at the line up there wasn't anybody we particularly wanted to see in the day but it being Glastonbury there is so much more to do. So we walked around and stumbled into the cabaret and circus part of the festival. It was mega sunny this day as well so we sat in the shade of the circus tent and watched some male jugglers and female performers. They had big metal rings and were like jumping in them whilst they were rolling?! Skills. So the first band we saw were Noah and The Whale. They were really good and I like their songs such as; "5 Years Time", "L I F E G O E S O N" and "Waiting For My Chance to Come". They are a real feel good band and it was so nice to watch them in the sunshine.
 Now our first trip to The John Peel Stage was in order to see Johnny Marr. The famous Smiths guitarist knew what the crowd wanted and after one of his solo songs he dove straight into "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before" If some of you aren't "The Smiths" fans then you might be thinking where have I heard that song before? Well it would probably be when producer come dj come singer Mark Ronson hashed together a cover with Daniel Merriweather. (youtube it if you want to sit through 3 minutes of pain) But Johnny definitely did it justice and the tent was filled with people singing a long.
 Again we didn't really mind who we watched but I wanted to see Two Door Cinema Club. I went to see them in London earlier this year and they were insanely good and they didn't disappoint at Glasto. Dressed to the nines in full on suits (in 25 degree heat may I add) they properly went for it. I sang a long to every song and fully deserved to be on the "Other Stage".
 We then made our way over to the pyramid stage to prepare for The Rolling Stones and caught the end of Primal Scream who had Haim on stage with them. The crowd were interacting well with them and and Bobby Gillespie didn't disappoint in his neon pink suit. Actually thinking about it there were a lot of well dressed musicians at Glastonbury I like that they all put in the effort!
 So The Rolling Stones. Bare in mind that I was born in 1991 and most of the music I grew up with was trashy pop with a bit of T-Rex, ELO and Queen dabbled in (thanks mum and dad) I wasn't overly looking forward to The Stones. That might sound a bit blaisé but it's the truth. We were well amongst the crowd but pretty far back but the screens were working and we could see them on stage. They came on to Jumpin' Jack Flash, yes I know this one! Mick Jagger at nearly 70 years old definitely still has it going on. Wearing a sequin jacket he was jittering around the stage and his voice was still just as strong. The only let down for me was the guitar solos were rather long and I must admit we didn't stay right until the end, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

SUNDAY, last day booo :(

Because it was the last day we got up pretty early to take a couple of trips to the car to pack up our stuff because my sister had decided she wanted to drive home that night instead of getting caught in the traffic on monday morning. And it was definitely the right decision. So after many arduous trips to Blue East Car Park 11 we walked through to the Avalon stage and caught the end of Bruce Forsyth, strange act for a festival you might imagine, but anything goes at Glasto! He had a huge crowd as well.
 We then watched Of Monsters and Men, Editors, Vampire Weekend and Mumford and Sons. Who were all excellent. Of Monsters and Men have such a unique sound and their album is sublime. Editors who I have seen once before at V Festival really blew me away, they have a really strong stage presence and looked like they were having the best time, as was I!
 Now Vampire Weekend I was really looking forward to as I have never seen them before and love them. Their debut album was a genius mix of complicated fast lyrics and quick beats. They played all the hits off of that album including "A-Punk", "Oxford Comma" and "Cousins" and their new single off of their new album "Diane Young", which I need to listen to at least once a day to keep me sane :D
  And then came the headliners Mumford And Sons. Now say what you like about the banjo playing, waistcoated foursome but I love them. They put on a damn good show and all of their songs are catchy and I love both albums; Sigh No More and Babel.

We left Glastonbury 2013 with a sense of elation but also a bloody good view as we walked back to the carparks you can see the whole festival and suddenly realise what you have been a part of for the last 5 days. It really is like another world. I can't fit into my blog the amount of stuff we saw and did and ate! The food is amazing, there is literally hundreds of different food stalls serving anything you could imagine.

BRING ON 2014.

x

No comments: